Note to The Tempest, 4.1.59, "Enter IRIS"
- From Wikipedia: Iris (mythology):
- "She is the goddess of the rainbow"
- "She is also known as one of the goddesses of the sea and the sky. Iris links the gods to humanity."
- "She is also said to travel on the rainbow while carrying messages from the gods to mortals."
- From Theoi Greek Mythology: Iris
- " For the coastal-dwelling Greeks, the rainbow's arc was most often seen spanning the distance beteween cloud and sea, and so the goddess was believed to replenish the rain-clouds with water from the sea."
- "Her name contains a double meaning, being connected with both the Greek word iris 'the rainbow' and eiris 'messenger'."